It was a rough week for New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo after two former staffers came forward to complain of sexual harassment. While many cases have come to light amid the #MeToo movement, Cuomo's case has some unique wrinkles that are worth discussing. We dissect his PR approach and explain why, while it may not work as well as he hopes, it could still usher in the PR 2.0 era when facing these kinds of allegations.
Speaking of #MeToo, the movement has sparked an entirely new profession in the film industry. Ewan introduces "intimacy coordinators" which are now used on Hollywood sets and explains how it's symbolic of the changes that still need to be made in other sectors.
Also: the stressful scourge of email and the civil war inside the New York Times and what it means for media.
Don't miss any future episodes and get updates about the podcast by signing up to the PR & Law Podcast newsletter. We promise: no spam. Ever.
If you enjoy the show, please tell a friend or family member. It's the best way to get the word out and we are very grateful! We also frequently post updates to the stories we discuss on social media. You can find us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. You can also subscribe to our channels on YouTube and Soundcloud.
If you have a question we would be happy to answer it on the show! Just post it to social media with the hashtag #PRLawPod.
Links and Show Notes
- Those Hot Bridgerton Scenes, They Took Practice - The Sunday Times (Paywall)
- Bridgerton's Steamy Sex Scenes Took Practice, Says the Hit Show's Intimacy Co-ordinator - Daily Mail
- 76% of U.S Employees say #MeToo Positively Impacted the Workplace Culture, Surveys Careerarc - HR Technologist
- Kate Winslet on Fresh Air - NPR
- My Story of Working with Governor Cuomo - Medium
- Ex-Aide Details Sexual Harassment Claims Against Gov. Cuomo - New York Times
- Cuomo is Accused of Sexual Harassment by a 2nd Former Aide - New York Times
- I Went on a Date with Aziz Ansari. It Turned Into the Worst Night of my Life - Babe.net
- Aziz Ansari is Guilty. Of Not Being a Mind Reader - New York Times
Check This Out
- E-mail is Making us Miserable - The New Yorker
- Why the Morality Plays Inside the Times Won't Stop - New York Times
Ewan Christie is an employment lawyer and partner at Duntrune LLP in Toronto, Canada.
Cam MacMurchy is a corporate communications executive with a multinational technology company listed in Hong Kong and curator of the Digital Bits PR and Communications newsletter. He also contributes to Apple news website 9to5Mac and shares his thoughts on PR, media, travel, and technology on his website.