It's that time of year when people are out looking for jobs, and employers are posting new openings. Ewan brings some timely advice on how both employers and prospective employees can protect themselves. A hint: even smalltalk can have big consequences.
Then we look at the story of Texas Senator Ted Cruz, who was caught red-handed boarding a flight for sunny Cancun, Mexico as millions in his state were left without power in a severe winter storm. It's easy to poke fun at the Senator for bungling this, but he made the situation worse by how he initially responded to critics. We examine the case and discuss how Cruz could've managed the fallout much better.
Then we discuss Britney Spears, who's in the limelight these days over her conservatorship. We also discuss the consequences of being a pugilist in the National Hockey League.
Don't miss any future episodes and get updates about the podcast by signing up to the PR & Law Podcast newsletter. We promise: no spam. Ever.
If you enjoy the show, please tell a friend or family member. It's the best way to get the word out and we are very grateful! We also frequently post updates to the stories we discuss on social media. You can find us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. You can also subscribe to our channels on YouTube and Soundcloud.
If you have a question we would be happy to answer it on the show! Just post it to social media with the hashtag #PRLawPod.
Links and Show Notes
- How Ted Cruz's Ill-Fated Trip to Cancun Blew Up from Twitter Rumor to Major Scandal - Vox
- Ted Cruz Flying to Cancun (@Juan_Gomez18) - Twitter
- Ted Cruz is Being Mocked Over Photos Showing Him Loading Bottles of Water into a Car as he Seeks to Rebuild His Reputation After the Cancun Vacation Debacle - Business Insider
- AOC Raises $2 Million for Texans, Visiting Houston as Ted Cruz Embroiled in Furor Over Cancun Trip - Dallas Morning News
- Opinion: Ted Cruz Wants to be a Populist. But He Can't Get it Right - Washington Post
- Why Ted Cruz Should've Known This was a Bad Idea - Washington Post
- Sen. Ted Cruz Arrives Back in Texas with Armed Police Escort - New York Post
- Anderson Cooper Trashes Ted Cruz's Attempt at Damage Control - HuffPost
- This is the Luxury Cancun Resort Ted Cruz is Missing Out On - Forbes
- Opinion: A Canadian Apologizes to Texas for Ted Cruz - Houston Chronicle
- 78% of job seekers lie during the hiring process - CNBC
- In recruiting new lawyers, think twice before asking diversity questions - Canadian Lawyer
Check This Out
- The paparazzi who stalked Britney Spears have no regrets - Insider
- Protecting the 'Child Inside of Me': Donald Brashear's Toughest Fight - The Athletic
Ewan Christie is an employment lawyer and partner at Duntrune LLP in Toronto, Canada.
Cam MacMurchy is a corporate communications executive with a multinational technology company listed in Hong Kong and curator of the Digital Bits PR and Communications newsletter. He also contributes to Apple news website 9to5Mac and shares his thoughts on PR, media, travel, and technology on his website.