Public speaking is often a big part of the job for PR professionals, and this past week provided some excellent examples of how to do it right. We mention the inaugural address of US President Joe Biden, of course, but focus much more closely on Amanda Gorman, the young poet laureate who stole the show with her emotional and uplifting poem. Her performance was universally praised and clearly touched a chord, but why? What makes a good speech? Why was this poem so powerful? We dive in, with lots of examples.
We also look at another case of unwanted sexting, this time from
New York Mets General Manager Jared Porter. He lost his job for sending a long series of unanswered texts following a chance encounter in an elevator several years ago. Ewan breaks down the case from the perspective of Porter's employer - the Mets - and looks at how the team handled the scandal. Ewan and Cam also look at how the incident was handled publicly.
Also: some longread recommendations from the New York Times on the life and times of former CNN talk show host Larry King, who passed away last week, and how US infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci managed to survive four years with Donald Trump as his boss.
Don't miss any future episodes and get updates about the podcast by signing up to the PR & Law Podcast newsletter. We promise: no spam. Ever.
If you enjoy the show, please tell a friend or family member. It's the best way to get the word out and we are very grateful! We also frequently post updates to the stories we discuss on social media. You can find us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. You can also subscribe to our channels on YouTube and Soundcloud.
If you have a question we would be happy to answer it on the show! Just post it to social media with the hashtag #PRLawPod.
Links and Show Notes
- Why Biden's Inaugural Address Succeeded - The Atlantic
- Vin Scully Calls Hank Aaron's Historic 715th Home Run - YouTube
- The Tone from the Top with Edelman's Simon Murphy - PR & Law Podcast Episode 32
- New York Mets GM Jared Porter Acknowledges Sending Explicit Images to Female Reporter When He Worked for Chicago Cubs - ESPN
- National Youth Poet Laureate Amanda Gorman at Presidential Inauguration - YouTube
- 'Overjoyed': Hear from Poet Who Stole the Show at Inauguration - YouTube
Check This Out
- Fauci on What Working for Trump Was Really Like - New York Times
- Larry King is Preparing for the Final Cancellation - New York Times
Ewan Christie is an employment lawyer and partner at Duntrune LLP in Toronto, Canada.
Cam MacMurchy is a corporate communications executive with a multinational technology company listed in Hong Kong and curator of the Digital Bits PR and Communications newsletter. He also contributes to Apple news website 9to5Mac and shares his thoughts on PR, media, travel, and technology on his website.