An article appeared in a Canadian newspaper this week alleging that workers are slacking off while working from home, "stealing" time from their employer. Ewan completely debunks this argument, saying work has only infiltrated more parts of our lives and left us working longer hours than ever before. Cam and Ewan also discuss what a modern workplace would look like.
In this week's PR segment, Cam dives into the world of YouTube influencers. He documents the growth of influencers in general and why they should be an important component of PR or marketing plans. He also shares a few ideas of how to get started.
Also: two terrific long reads. One is about MS-13, a gang that terrorized Long Island a few years ago, while the other is a heart wrenching story from Girls' star Lena Dunham on losing her fertility. Ewan also recommends an ambient album he claims is perfect to play while working.
Don't miss any future episodes and get updates about the podcast by signing up to the PR & Law Podcast newsletter. We promise: no spam. Ever.
If you enjoy the show, please tell a friend or family member. It's the best way to get the word out and we are very grateful! We also frequently post updates to the stories we discuss on social media. You can find us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. You can also subscribe to our channels on YouTube and Soundcloud.
If you have a question we would be happy to answer it on the show! Just post it to social media with the hashtag #PRLawPod.
Links and Show Notes
- Australians are doing $100 billion worth in unpaid overtime, as remote working comes at a cost - Smart Company
- Influencers are the new PR tour - Crane's Cleveland Business
- Surprising best friend with Borat - David Dobrick's YouTube Channel
- Borat streaming with DrLupo is as chaotic and hilarious as it sounds - Screen Rant
- Borat offers Katy Perry NSFW birthday wishes in video gifted by husband Orlando Bloom - Movieweb
Check This Out
- A Betrayal - ProPublica
- Michael J. Fox - WTF with Marc Maron
- False Labor: Giving Up on Motherhood - Harper's Magazine
- Gabriel Olafs "Absent Minded" - Bandcamp
Ewan Christie is an employment lawyer and partner at Duntrune LLP in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Cam MacMurchy is a corporate communications executive with a multinational technology company listed in Hong Kong and curator of the Digital Bits PR and Communications newsletter. He also contributes to Apple news website 9to5Mac and shares his thoughts on PR, media, travel, and technology on his website.