We wondered if we'd have a winner declared by the time we recorded Episode #31, and we just made it: Joe Biden was declared President-Elect after securing enough votes in the electoral college to secure victory -- but not without some drama. We dive into all things election, including the chronology of events on election night and the advice PR teams may have been giving the candidates. We also look at the speeches from Trump and Biden on election night and thereafter, picking out parts that worked and others that didn't.
Of course, selecting a president wasn't the only thing on the ballot, at least in California. Ewan updates us on Proposition 22, which asked Californians whether they believe gig economy workers like Uber and Lyft drivers should be treated like employees. Ewan and Cam debate the subject, with Ewan detailing why the results matter for gig economy workers.
We also look at the future of work, whether Zoom can replace face-to-face interaction, and much more.
Don't miss any future episodes and get updates about the podcast by signing up to the PR & Law Podcast newsletter. We promise: no spam. Ever.
If you enjoy the show, please tell a friend or family member. It's the best way to get the word out and we are very grateful! We also frequently post updates to the stories we discuss on social media. You can find us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. You can also subscribe to our channels on YouTube and Soundcloud.
If you have a question we would be happy to answer it on the show! Just post it to social media with the hashtag #PRLawPod.
Links and Show Notes
- California Proposition 22, App-Based Drivers as Contractors and Labor Policy Initiatives (2020) - Ballotpedia
- President Trump's Election Night Remarks - YouTube
- Joe Biden Speaks Live on Election Night - YouTube
- Joe Biden Addresses the Nation After Election Victory - YouTube
Check This Out
- How Joe Biden Changed, and Changed, and Changed - and Made it to the White House - Vox
- Imprecision 2020 - WNYC Studios
- Leading from the Living Room: One CEO's Quest to Make the Work-from-Home Revolution Last - Globe and Mail (Paywall)hg
Ewan Christie is an employment lawyer and partner at Duntrune LLP in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Cam MacMurchy is a corporate communications executive with a multinational technology company listed in Hong Kong and curator of the Digital Bits PR and Communications newsletter. He also contributes to Apple news website 9to5Mac and shares his thoughts on PR, media, travel, and technology on his website.